Over 10 million people will select a cruise as a preferred means of vacation travel. Most cruise lines provide all-inclusive packages with meals, entertainment and lodging. Maintaining a healthy weight and following a prescribed diet can be a difficult task.
There is no magic formula for maintaining a healthy weight. The human body is an efficient machine, calories are taken in to provide energy and calories are expended with effort. Often, a cruise provides many opportunities to take in more food with fewer opportunities to work out.
Fortunately, many cruises now present healthy options for fitness and dining. Some healthy cruising tips include:
• Fitness center. Locate the fitness center and become familiar with the equipment available. Modern cruise ships have an extensive assortment of workout gear. Treadmills, ellipticals and stationary bicycles are among the most popular. A television set mounted to the apparatus also makes the time go by faster.
• Fitness classes. A cruise is a good occasion to try something new. Personal trainers direct spinning, yoga, Zumba and TRX sessions. A personal trainer on board may be able to put together an effective exercise program for year-round use.
• Jogging track. Ships now map out an area designated for guests who wish to jog or walk. This area is typically located on the upper deck allowing for great views and a chance to enjoy some time outdoors.
• Stairs. Passengers who wish keep off some pounds should pass the elevators and opt for the stairs whenever possible.
• Pool. The swimming pools on board are typically very busy during the day but early morning is a perfect time to swim laps or perform a water aerobics program.
The most effective way to enjoy a cruise without gaining weight is to find a like-minded partner to support you at the gym and at the buffet.